New Responsive Theme Launched!

FTMO Trader Scouting

jack

Administrator
Staff member
FXGears has just launched a revamped theme!

The new theme takes from our existing style and adds in a new navigational system, responsive design (for tablet and phone users,) and new thread layout!

Please report any bugs or issues found in this thread or via PM.

Cheers!
Jack

Jack,

I'll be blunt, the new theme is a retrograde step. Maybe it has benefits I have yet to discover, so far it merely seems a poor utilization of screen space

I don't mind the new layout but I really miss the "home" Page. I have to dig a little to find the trending threads...

WOW... Just realized how lazy that sounds. :) happy Monday folks.

pipmart said:
I don't mind the new layout but I really miss the "home" Page. I have to dig a little to find the trending threads...

WOW... Just realized how lazy that sounds. :) happy Monday folks.

I wanted to do away with the front page since it was ugly and very few people used it. However, I'm thinking of putting in a recent posts table on the main board index page to see how it fits.

In the mean time, try the updated topics link near your user name in the upper right:
4cnklnQ.png

Jack said:
I wanted to do away with the front page since it was ugly and very few people used it. However, I'm thinking of putting in a recent posts table on the main board index page to see how it fits.

In the mean time, try the updated topics link near your user name in the upper right:
4cnklnQ.png

So I added the recent posts option on the front page (scroll down to the info center to see,) that way members who are not logged in can see it too.

Jack said:
So I added the recent posts option on the front page (scroll down to the info center to see,) that way members who are not logged in can see it too.

I like that :)

What about quick replies? Also a small CSS bug here: http://d.pr/i/c6bN

Guys and gals, I understand it's not perfect, but I'll be actively tweaking and editing things as we go.

We needed to push the new theme out the door as it enables us to move forward with other new features that will rely on the new theme code.

Things I'm gonna have tweaked a bit over the next 24-48 hours:

• Have individual reply and quote buttons within each post like before instead of the actions menu.. The drop down menus were everywhere by default so people on smaller screens aren't overrun by buttons, but instead of going with the menu, I'll just have the buttons adjust in size and position should the screen viewing the page not be large enough (like on a phone.)
  • CSS / SPAN bug that outthislife mentioned.
  • Spacing and layout, making a bit more room for posts and such.
  • Chat system gets hooked into the top menu.

Jack said:
Any examples would be great. I'm still tweaking things.

Jack

The major issue is poor utilization of screen space, refer screenshot, you seem to be addressing many of the other issues.

PS What does 'responsive' mean?
PPS My upper right Avatar is now short and squat ;)

1rfe6v.png

When I open a thread it opens to the first page instead of opening directly to the last page with the most recent posts. I looked around in the profile setting and didn't find any way to change this. Am I missing it somehow?

Jack, thanks for all the hard work you put into this site. Its turning into a nice trading community.

Breadcrumb nav line when replying to a thread should be sorted out now.

rod, thanks for noticing the avatar thing... I'll dig into it.

rod178 said:
PS What does 'responsive' mean?

Meaning if you load the site up on your tablet or phone (or anything with a smaller screen / resolution) it should change the layout to better suit your screen.

You can see what I mean by making your browser window progressively smaller, there's ~ 4 stages of changes that take place as the screen size shrinks.

This removes the need to have a "mobile" theme like before, which if you ever used it, was a 3rd party plugin I wasn't thrilled about using (that, and the main site / theme before looked horrible on phones and other smaller devices.)

Jack said:
rod, thanks for noticing the avatar thing... I'll dig into it.

Suspect that it has something to do with the original dimensions of the Avatar, and that a perfectly square box would not be squished.

rod178 said:
Suspect that it has something to do with the original dimensions of the Avatar, and that a perfectly square box would not be squished.

Fixed already, click refresh on your browser to pull the new changes. :)

Yours will be oval a bit, but should line up.

Yes, all good on the Avatar

Is the screen utilization issue going the be addressed? I'm running multiple 24inch monitors (1920x1080), not considered large these days. Is the utilization even worse on a 27inch monitor?

rod178 said:
Yes, all good on the Avatar

Is the screen utilization issue going the be addressed? I'm running multiple 24inch monitors, not considered large these days. Is the utilization even worse on a 27inch monitor?

Sure, but I'll need a little time with that one.. gotta use my monitors at work to test out how it looks on larger screens.

Are you using 1920x1080?

FTMO Trader Scouting
Back