GBP / JPY -- Guppy!

FTMO Trader Scouting

jack

Administrator
Staff member
Current S/R levels I'm paying attention to on a 30 min time frame...

1sGC6Jz.png

But anyone doing some ICT style analysis on this pair?

Jack said:
Current S/R levels I'm paying attention to on a 30 min time frame...

1sGC6Jz.png

But anyone doing some ICT style analysis on this pair?

there are clean lines around 1.73500, it would be nice if it gave us a weekly low set up, to go for it

Attachments

• gbpjpyh4.png
    gbpjpyh4.png
    29.9 KB · Views: 51
GdayFx said:
there are clean lines around 1.73500, it would be nice if it gave us a weekly low set up, to go for it

Always trading on higher time frames than me Dan :p Always. ahah..

Yeah, it is clean up there. But the Yen is taking it on the chin now (look at USD/JPY,) so I'm paying a little more attention for recent moves.

EDIT: I meant USD/JPY is taking it on the chin, the Yen would be gaining value in this case. I'm tired :p Don't mind me.

(To be clear, I don't do much longer term trading, I mostly scalp.. so I look for moves and levels we might see breached sooner rather than later.. kinda like that short time frame experiment you did a while back.)

It's current 04/22/2014, at 9 GMT.

The current daily high, hit about an hour ago, was @ the 4 hour order block on the last Swing High. (It's a Sell/Resistance level in this case)

Current day Low is the Daily Order Block from the Swing High back in March/Collection point.

I would have a lot of reasons to want to Sell this pair today, from where it's at, but I'm not actively trading it right now. Getting more solid on the USD/JPY first.

Should be noted, Next week is "Golden Week" in Japan, and there is a historic Sell Off that tends to happen going into the Friday before it. (I was looking at historic data and wondered about the consistent spike at the end of April) That's one thing to also keep in mind.

Attachments

• gbpjpyproh1.png
    gbpjpyproh1.png
    51 KB · Views: 50
French PMI seemed to be a bit of a catalyst for a quick sell off... I was late to the game (entry) by a good minute but still jumped on and rode down some selling momentum.

Just took 4/5ths of my short off at 124.25.. representing a solid 3.5:1 RR trade, and the last little bit is if we touch 19's.. for whatever reason, I want that extra 5 pips.. seems possible, especially with more pending PMI releases for Germany in 5 min.. but not risking my entire gain for it.

Attachments

• french PMI news on GBPJPY.png
    french PMI news on GBPJPY.png
    7 KB · Views: 81
closed the last bit early on positive german numbers.. had they been a miss on forecast like the french numbers then I'd have held. Got out 28's

TopFroxx said:
jack, a quick question for you. do you use depth of market in your trading at all?

DOM is a great tool for many markets... FX just isn't one of them.

It would be useful for FX traders who want to know if their large sized orders would be slipped when marketing them. Since I'm not punting $1+mm per ticket just (yet..ahah) it's not on my radar.

I pretty much live out of my DOM and Time and Sales windows with equities at work... but in FX, I don't really bother looking at the DOM.

I have heard that some people get value from watching currency futures on the DOM with a time and sales feed on the side.. kinda like a proxy to the rest of the currency market, but I've never stuck with it long enough myself to determine if it's valuable to me.

That said, most of my scalping these days has been event driven...but not all.

Jack said:
DOM is a great tool for many markets... FX just isn't one of them.

It would be useful for FX traders who want to know if their large sized orders would be slipped when marketing them. Since I'm not punting $1+mm per ticket just (yet..ahah) it's not on my radar.

I pretty much live out of my DOM and Time and Sales windows with equities at work... but in FX, I don't really bother looking at the DOM.

I have heard that some people get value from watching currency futures on the DOM with a time and sales feed on the side.. kinda like a proxy to the rest of the currency market, but I've never stuck with it long enough myself to determine if it's valuable to me.

That said, most of my scalping these days has been event driven...but not all.

i delved into prop trading a bit and it seems that it is pretty much impossible without DOM. i dont like that. or is it maybe just for equity, bonds, and commodities? need to investigate further. maybe i find some info on FX trading at prop firms. aaaaaanyway, sorry for off topic.

Aww jeeze... this looks like we're gonna run some fun levels really soon:

(Daily Chart)

Nq0B1Yz.png

:D

It's going to be a fun May/June. Though the Commercials are setup to eventually drop on the Pound (though they're not stacked anywhere close to as high as you'd expect for a massive move down).

The Yen is Range Bound for the time being. Commercials seem to be playing "Let the Bank of Japan Pay Us", as they setup a 6+ year Short position at the top in January. Though they unwound most of that by the end of the Month. The BoJ is likely going to defend the 100 level for the time being.

It's eventually going to get wild and wacky, though. Just a matter of "when".

why not just do 100 ticks in the ldn session
load up on the db and unload at the 6.9 gunner extension.

then do 10 more trades after that.

s

Attachments

• guppy load to the gunner.gif
    guppy load to the gunner.gif
    36.2 KB · Views: 129
Reversal Dan? ... surely you jest. :D

That blue that seems to come over your Mondays, is that a rare form of Mondayitis? Can you explain how you use it? TIA

Just looks like setting a high / low range for the beginning of the week. A lot of breakout / fakeout strategies are based on time series type studies like this.

Dan? :p

No pressure, not all traders like giving out their strats. . But I'm very glad Dan shares this stuff since it at least makes us think "ohh, what's that?" and might get the old gears turning in our own heads..

FTMO Trader Scouting
Back